The SlutWalk Winnipeg organizing team is pleased to announce details for this year’s event on September 7, 2013 at 1:00 PM.
The 2013 SlutWalk will comprise of a series of sharing circles to take place at the Forks at Festival Park in front of the Scotiabank stage. The organizing team would like to invite the community, media, justice and medical system and all other interested participants to join us in dialogue regarding a number of topics and issues surrounding the SlutWalk intiative.
The sharing circles will include the following themes for discussion:
1. How can we, as individuals and as a group, tackle rape culture in our community?
2. All survivors are invited to share their own personal stories, and what SlutWalk means to them.
3. What steps are available to work with the medical and legal systems, as well as the media to provide more robust support to survivors?
4. Should we, and how can we re-brand the “SlutWalk” name?
5. How can we work together with other important initiatives such as the Women’s Memorial March & Take Back the Night to combine resources and voices.
With these valuable discussions, the organizing team is preparing for a panel discussion, to be hosted during the week of GenderFest. SlutWalk Winnipeg’s organizers strongly supports the mandate of GenderFest as it works towards promoting and celebrating queer and gender-variant identities, while at the same time, empowering local organizations, groups, and individuals to create and showcase their own uniqueness.
We welcome any feedback and are happy to answer any questions you may have. We have changed the format this year, this is not a walk followed by speakers, but rather an opportunity to engage in dialogue with the community.